Sunday, April 25, 2010

Doctor Strange vs. Doctor Fate


Hiatus yay! Now I can finally draw whatever I feel like doing. I've been meaning to finish this one for a looong time.

Doctor Strange was co-created by writer Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko and first appeared in Strange Tales #110 (July 1963). Doctor Strange is a master magician, and was the holder of the title of "Sorcerer Supreme" of the Marvel Universe for many years. Eternity, the sentience of the Marvel Universe, has described Strange as "more powerful by far than any of your fellow humanoids".
The character can use magic to achieve a number of effects, such as energy projection; teleportation; telepathy; astral projection the creation of materials, such as food and water or creating planet-wide protective shields. When casting a spell the character is often written to be invoking the name of a mystical entity, such as one of the Vishanti (Hoggoth, Oshtur and Agamotto) or the group the Octessence. These entities usually lend their power to a particular effect, such as the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, that Strange can use to entrap foes.

I had the strangest synchronicity related to this, I've recently discovered the cosmic music of Constance Demby and I've purchased an album named Sanctum Sanctuorum that I played during the creation of this piece. While reading Doc. Strange's info to post it in this blog I came across to the fact that his residence it's called Sanctum Sanctorum...that's strange, isn't it?

Doctor Fate original version was created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Howard Sherman, and first appeared in More Fun Comics #55 (May 1940). Doctor Fate possesses a variety of mystical powers. In general, even without wearing the Helmet of Nabu, the host can fly, is highly resistant to injury, has minor telekinesis and has greater-than-human strength.
In all of his incarnations, Doctor Fate is an accomplished sorcerer, and at his most potent able to match most other wizards in the DC Universe. In various incarnations, Fate can emit bolts of mystical energy, teleport across the universe, craft solid objects out of energy, and transform objects into other kinds of matter.

If these two mystic heroes would face each other I always pictured that they would fight for a short amount of time and realize they are both good guys concluding their match. Perhaps they may even join forces to defeat who ever turned them against each other.

What do you think it would happen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up loving both Dc and Marvel tittles and to this day I will not leave a comic book shop unless I have an equal number of titles from each publisher in the bag lest some cosmic catastrophe unfold as a result.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with an equal amount of geeky love for both Dc and Marvel. If some kind of cosmic catastrophe should unfold it will probably because I left a comic book shop with an unbalanced number of titles from both publishers in the bag. So far so good.

Anonymous said...

To this day I will not leave a comic book shop unless I have an equal number of DC and Marvel titles in the bag lest some cosmic catastrophe unfold.