Thursday, January 25, 2007

Aquaman



Created by Paul Norris and Mort Weisinger, the character debuted in More Fun Comics #73 (Nov. 1941). Initially a backup feature in DC's anthology titles, Aquaman later featured in his own title multiple times. Nearly two decades later, during the superhero-revival period known as the Silver Age of Comic Books, he was a founding member of the Justice League of America.
I based the top piece on the comics at that time. I was laughed at by other artists at work and I was told the idea of Aquaman with a hook hand was terrible. Eventually the same artists/producers that gave me a hard time were responsible for the Aquaman episode on the Justice League show that features the origin where he looses his hand.
Years later I was asked by a WB producer to do the top piece. I made it for a fanzine cover back in 2002.

No comments: